I still can’t believe my mom wouldn’t let me go.
I was 16 and all my friends were getting these amazing make overs. Their mothers would take them to the mall, they’d have their hair and make up done and then their glamour shot session would begin. After a few days, (remember it was an archaic time before anything was digital…gasp) my friends would bring in these gorgeous pictures featuring their amazing transformation and I SO wanted that done for me.
But my moms said,”No.”
Well, now I get my chance.
Introducing” simple sausage ball meets glamour shots.
Don’t you think that this good ole stand bye screamed for a little glamming up?
Instead of serving everyone’s favorite mainstay appetizer recipe on a tray or in a bowl, give a hand full of these simple sausage balls the perfect head shot by posing them on a candy stick or extra long toothpick. Then adorn them with your choices of your favorite dipping sauces.
Every once in awhile people complain when making these and mention they are too dry. Remember, the keys is in the kneading of the ingredients. Make sure they are at room temperature so that they meld together easily.
This is one of those easy recipes where once you make them, you can determine if you want to add more sausage, add seasonings, or even just subtract a little of the baking mix. There’s no rocket science with this recipe, just sheer appetizer goodness.
Now that you’ve given them their appropriate run way to flash all their beauty, what’s out for the paparazzi. With graduations, bridal showers and summer celebrations, there’s sure to be a frenzy of media attention on these little bites, so enjoy.
Do you have any simple recipes that you enjoy “glamming” up?
Often with entertaining, it’s truly the little things that make the biggest impact.
Recipe: Simple Sausage Balls
Summary: These simple sausage balls are a mainstay for any entertaining. take them to the next level by giving them a bit of glam.
- 1 pound bulk hot sausage
- 1 package (8-10 ounces) extra sharp shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups of baking mix (Bisquick)
- 2 TB jelly (optional: apricot, orange, or grape)
- (Proportions may vary based on your texture preference, some like them crispier, some don’t. I have used 1 pound sausage, 2 cups of cheese and two cups of baking mix as well, along with jelly, minced onions and some extra seasoning for a great spiced up version before too.)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Allow sausage and cheese to reach room temperature.
- Place in mixer or use hand blender and blend together sausage and Bisquick. *
- Add cheese and mix well.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil for ease in clean up, and spray with oil.
- Form meat mixture into 1 inch size balls.
- Place on baking sheet one inch apart.
- Bake until golden brown approximately 10 minutes. (Sometimes I’ll broil them for the last few minutes to give it that nice crispy edge, but typically, I just bake.
- Drain on paper towel.
You will definitely want to double the recipe because these freeze wonderfully.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 10 minute(s)