Do you want something a little out of the ordinary, yet simple to whip up?
It’s no secret that anything with the word potato in it quickly becomes one of my favorite things. It’s an inside joke with family and friends because I think if I could choose between a steak and the best fries ever, I just may choose the steak.
I know, I know, but I love my comfort foods and this one has all favorites mixed into one. It’s perfect for those potluck gatherings and just different enough that someone else will not bring it.
It’s also a recipe that can be pulled out during my Pantry and Freezer Challenge months, and I admit that the small amount of Corn Flakes that the kids leave at the end of the box get used for this recipe.
It’s very similar to my Copy Cat Cracker Barrel Hashbrown Casserole Recipe, so compare them and see which you enjoy more.
Note that while the directions use the microwave to cook the bacon, that is only if you are in a time pinch. Add Cooking Bacon in bulk to your Power Cooking hour and make some up in the oven. It’s so easy and then use extras for recipes such as this.
Now I’m off to contemplate additional carb delights. Enjoy!
Recipe: Cheesy Bacon Potato Casserole
Summary: When you blend some of your favorite comfort foods together, the result is this delicious Cheesy Bacon Potato Casserole
- 1 pkg smoked bacon
- 1 pkg frozen potatoes, cubed
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup
- 1 pt sour cream
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- 2 cups crushed corn flakes
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- Peel and coarsely chop onion.
- Mix together potatoes, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, onion, salt, and cheese in a large mixing bowl.
- Set aside in refrigerator.
- Spray casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Pour corn flakes into a zipper storage bag, and crush with fingers.
- Cook entire package of bacon in microwave according to package instructions until crispy. Use a plate covered with paper towels to soak up the bacon grease.
- Set bacon aside to cool.
- Once bacon has cooled, crush into bits and add to the potato mixture.
- Stir thoroughly to combine, then pour into casserole dish.
- Use a spoon to level potato mixture out.
- Melt butter in a microwave safe bowl.
- Top with crushed corn flakes, then drizzle with melted butter.
- Bake at 350° for one hour, or until potatoes are soft.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 40 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 12