Our family loves roast. I love roast.
I love the multiple meal possibilities that come from a huge roast and dream of the C.O.S.T. (Cook once, serve twice) meals that can be made from doubling up that roast.
(Is love an appropriate verb to use for meat?)
With all those multiple meal ideas comes the reality that I must hide the left overs in a very secure location or six pounds of meat are gone. Literally. At. One. Sitting.
With my carnivore family’s love of roast, I often mix up our favorite foods with varying seasonings. Traditional roast melts in your mouth, but a Mexican Roast melts in your mouth adding a little zip to it.
Different flavorings for differing moods.
Often, I simmer my roasts in a crock pot all day, but for this one, I decided to use a Dutch Oven on the stove. (Any similar pan would work just fine.) A Dutch Oven or similar Le Creuset pan (on my wish list) allows you to quickly brown the pot roast and cook it all in one pot.
One pot meals makes my dish washing daughter very happy.
Recipe: Mexican Style Pot Roast
Summary: This twist on the traditional pot roast gives your Mexican food lovers a new favorite to request.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 pounds lean boneless chuck pot roast
- 1 can chopped green chilies (or chopped jalapenos for extra heat)
- 1 can whole or diced tomatoes (14 1/2 ounces) (your favorite)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped or minced
- 1-2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 TB beef or chicken dry bouillon granules
- 1 package of taco seasoning mix
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- onion or garlic powder
- In your dutch oven, heat olive oil.
- Add the minced onion and garlic and saute.
- Add Pot Roast and brown roast on all sides.
- In a bowl, combine remaining ingredients and pour over pot roast.
- Cover and simmer on low heat for 3 1/2 – 4 hours or until pot roast is tender.
- Time varies based on stove top.
- Slice and serve with your favorite Mexican side.
- Pictured here with Spanish rice and Mexican black beans. Garnish with salsa or sour cream.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 4 hours
Number of servings (yield): 12