Please raise your hand if your children continually bypass the last third of a bag of tortilla chips for the fresh bag?
What’s with that?
Is there something inherently wrong with chips at the bottom of the bag? Obviously, my children think so because last week I found FOUR, yes, I’m admitting this knowing full well some of you will now question my mothering ability, FOUR bags of partially eaten chips.
This hits on a peat peeve of mine, so after I addressed this topic once again with our kids, I decided that dinner needed to be planned around the use of these tortilla chips.
Enter Cheesy Mexican Chicken.
A recipe that can be switched up depending on what ingredients you have in your pantry.
Can you tell I love those kind of recipes?
And obviously my children love this as well.
Yes, I snuck this picture because it so accurately portrays many of our meal times. Typically, it’s our teen boys who are at the trough, but today it was our sweet girl who just loved every bite of this cheesy goodness.
Layered with many of our favorites, the blend of cheese and chicken, chips and veggies makes for sheer delish.
Remember, if you don’t have one or two of the ingredients, don’t fret. You can make this by substituting spices, veggies or just omitting an ingredient altogether.
Recipe: Mexican Chicken Casserole
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup (or favorite cream soup)
- 1 can Rotel (or favorite brand of diced tomatoes with green chiles or variation)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 cups chopped chicken, cooked
- 2 cups crushed tortilla chips
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (or favorite)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Saute onion and peppers in oil until tender, about five minutes. (I also add minced garlic, but totally optional based on preference.)
- In large bowl, combine pepper and onion mixture, tomatoes, soups, chili powder and cumin.
- Stir in chicken and mix well.
- Place half of chips in lightly greased 9×13 baking pan.
- Add half of chicken mixture and half the cheese; repeat layers, ending with cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 30-40 minutes or until mixture is heated tthrough.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 40 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 8