When I am in the mood for something sweet and savory, I thoroughly enjoy the Mango Salsa we keep stocked in bulk.
Yet right now, fresh peaches are in season and tomatoes are a plenty from the garden, so there’s nothing quite so enjoyable as whipping up our own fresh Homemade Peach Salsa. It makes me feel so “Little House on the Prairie-ish” to gather my own produce from the garden and live off our land. I feel like I could do that forever. (Unless it’s 100 degrees and humid, then I realize just how much I appreciate the modern technology of air conditioning and my dream of living off the land quickly is put into perspective. :))
Fresh salsa is something I make throughout the summer and creating variations, dependent on what’s in season, brings such inspirational fun to the table. This basic recipe uses canned peaches so that you can make this easily with what you have in your pantry, but substitute fresh ingredients and herbs when in season.
What’s your favorite variation of salsa?
We go through gallons – literally and I’d love to hear what your family enjoys.
Recipe: Homemade Peach Salsa
Summary: Bring a hint of summer to your table with this homemade peach salsa. Delicious and quick.
- 1 can (15 oz) peaches (or equivalent fresh peaches)
- 2 cans (14.5 oz each) diced tomatoes
- 1 medium sweet onion, cut into wedges
- ½ cup cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed and peeled
- 2 cans (4 oz each) chopped green chilies
- 4 tsp cider vinegar
- 1 tsp lime juice
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- Drain syrup from peaches into a small bowl and set aside.
- Cut onions into wedges (quarters). Pulse onions with garlic in food processor until coarsely chopped.
- Add tomatoes, cilantro, chilies, vinegar, lime juice, pepper, and salt. Cover and pulse until just blended.
- Transfer tomato mixture to serving bowl.
- Coarsely chop peaches with a chef’s knife, then add to tomato mixture. Stir thoroughly to mix peaches into salsa.
- Sample to check flavor. Stir in some reserved peach syrup to add flavor if desired.
- Cover serving bowl with lid or plastic wrap and chill until serving.
- Serve as you would any salsa, on top of burritos, as a dip for tortilla chips – basically, it’s good on everything. 🙂
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 6