Sometimes, dinners just must include some kind of “Melt in Your Mouth Gooey Goodness” that might otherwise be considered something perfect for breakfast, but you’ve designated it early dinner necessity.
I’ve been otherwise engaged with a family emergency for the last three days, (details have been shared on my lifestyle FB page), and right now the only thing I want to consume is this bit of perfection.
It’s a recipe I’ve been making for years, and one in which I no longer need the recipe, but just in case I do, it’s here in its official glory. Aren’t you impressed with the intricate calligraphy.
This is one of those recipes that is nearly impossible to mess up, yet tastes like you slaved over the stove. Best yet, since it uses the convenience of biscuits, it mixes up in ten minutes (with the help of an apple/peeler/slicer/corer).
Recipe: Easy Apple Pecan Coffee Cake
Summary: This melt in your mouth apple pecan coffee cake has all the goodness of homemade sticky buns with none of the work.
- 1/2 cup softened butter (1 stick)
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecan *(optional)
- Store bought biscuits (16 ounces)
- 2-3 Granny Smith Apples
- Cinnamon/ Sugar mixture *
- In a round 11 inch pan, layer the softened butter, corn syrup, and then brown sugar (in that order).
- Sprinkle chopped pecans on top.
- If nut allergy, you may omit if necessary or use varying nuts.
- After you have sprinkled the pecans, put a layer of diced, sliced or chopped apples (use what you have, but Granny Smith are the best).
- Next, divide biscuits into smaller pieces, and roll them in a mixture of cinnamon and sugar and place on top of apples. (My daughter loves this step, but when I make it, I do NOT do it. I just sprinkle cinnamon on top of the biscuits once I have layered them.)
- Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes. (Put a cookie sheet under it in case it leaks.)
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Invert pan onto cake plate.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 25 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 8
Notes: Since my family always demands more than this tiny pan yields, I have made this in a 9×13 pan as well, and then inverted it onto a cookie sheet or platter.
As stated earlier, the pecans are optional, but they sure are yummy, and I load them on. Play around with the amount of apples and pecans. Sometimes, I will make it “fork ready” by adding lots more apples than just 2 or 3. That always makes me feel like I can eat more, since it’s my fruit for the day.